2018 sees a new format for the Skibbereen Annual road race and walk. Held in August over the past number of years, this year the event goes ahead on Sunday 18th November with an 11.30 am start time. The 10K distance of previous years is replaced by two new races 5 and 10 miles plus a 5 mile walk. Both races and walk start and finish at the entrance to the O’Donovan Rossa GAA grounds. The new courses should prove very popular with both runners and walkers with the majority of the course on the flat while also a few gradual “pulls” to challenge the more experienced runner.
The club are expecting that Athletes will travel from far and wide for this pre-December- run and maybe spend the weekend in Skibbereen while a strong local support is always vital.
Details as follows:
- Open to runners and walkers of all abilities.
- Prizes for Gents and Ladies,first 3 overall.
- Cathegory prizes for over 40/ 45/50/55/60/ Junior (U 20)/Wheelchair/ Men and women
- Jones Counter measured Course with AAI permit and Chip timing.
- Start time 11.30 am at the O’Donovan Rossa GAA Grounds
- Entry Fee: 5 miles €15 euro, 10 miles €20. Walk €10.
- Entries on line at www.skibbac.com and also on race day from 9.30 am
Pre Race Registration and changing facilities at O’Donovan Rossa GAA grounds.
- Refresments and prizegiving will take place at the O’Donovan Rossa GAA pavilion after the race by kind permission of the local club.
- Race Inquiries to John McCarthy on 087-9671238
- Overall Winner of the 10 mile race will receive the Noreen McCarthy perpetual memorial cup.
- Up to €1,500 in prize money.
Sponsors: The club would like to thank most sincerely our main sponsors: Fields SuperValue: Hourihane Sports: Bantry Bay Medical Centre: Drinagh Co-op: South of Ireland Petroleum: without whose support this event would not be possible.